MAKE IT CHILD SAFE
Our blinds either have a cord-free mechanism or come with a safety device in line with the latest European regulations, which is installed during your fitting appointment.
When you’re choosing new blinds, curtains or shutters for a child’s room, then you should consider designs that work without cords or chains. We’ve got lots of different options to choose from, depending on your window type and choice of window covering:
- • Our PerfectFit frames click into place between the beading and glass of a UPVC window, with the blinds fitting within this made-to-measure casing. There are no operating cords at all. Instead the blinds are controlled using a simple tab or wand. Our Pleated, Venetian and Roller blinds can all be installed in this way.
- • Another great option is our cord and chain-free luxury Roller blinds.
- • Take your Roller blind one step further with a fully motorised option. Your blind is operated with a remote control, removing the need for any chains.
- • Plus, all our Vertical blinds are wand-operated, so free of cords and chains as standard.
- • Curtains for a pole or on a standard track have no operating cords either.
- • You could also consider our collection of stylish shutters, which are inherently safe by design.
Child Safety Devices
By law, designs with cords or chains must always be secured with a child safety device, whether or not you have children living with you. This is because little ones may visit your home from time to time. And if you decide to move, the blinds that you leave behind must be safe for the new owners:
- • Our standard Roman, Venetian, Wooden and free-hang Pleated blinds are installed with a cleat for the controls to be wrapped around. This device is fitted at a height of at least 1.5 metres from the ground.
- • Our Roller, Vertical and deluxe Roman blinds are fitted with a hook to keep the controls taut.
- • Breakaway components are another safety feature of certain blinds, which sense when a certain amount of force is placed upon them. These are also easy to reassemble if you pull a control too hard and they end up breaking away accidentally.
We are here to help
We will take care of installing the appropriate child safety devices for you on your fitting day, but there are a couple of additional steps you can take to ensure that your blinds and curtains are child safe:
- • Keep all cords and chains out of the reach of children using the safety hooks and cleats which have been fitted for you.
- • Loose cords or chains should never be tied together.
- • Furniture that children could climb on should be kept away from your windows.
SGS Shutters and Blinds Ltd are totally committed to child safety and insure all the blinds we supply comply with the new legal requirements set by the UK Government and Trading Standards.